Tuesday 18 May 2010

have your cake and eat it.

I was watching FashionTV the other day, mostly because nothing was on and even though the post-production of their footage is god awful (hello, Windows Movie Maker), it is the best channel on Sky for showing fashion shows. It was on my tele constantly during Couture week especially, but it also shows a bunch of old collections, often focusing on designer/fashion house history, and it does a lot of model interviews etc too so I do actually really love it.

ANYWAY that's not the point! (Not that there was much of a point in the first place)

Yeah... OH! So I was watching FTV and it was showing various shows from A/W 2001/2, and one of them that caught my attention was the Moschino collection - it was so quirky and fun, and I just really love when designers have fun with their clothes. It's like they're saying 'fashion is meant to be fun, clothes are fun, dressing up is fun, so let's keep it that way'. When I was younger I used to put on my mum's clothes on and make-up and just feel really elegant and grown-up, because I was being 'sophisticated' (but actually was just having huge amounts of fun playing dress-up, just like I'd done with my Barbies when I was even younger). It's funny really because I wasn't ever really very girly, I grew up as one of two girls in a huge family of boys, and so I knew more about wrestlers, footballers and superheroes than I did about the latest My Scene doll, but when I was trying on clothes and being a girl I felt..(I can't think of a word to describe it).

I loved that it started off like, waking up, hair in rollers or tied up messily, a 'Do Not Disturb' mask on, a long knit shawl wrapped over silk pajama suit, then off to work! We're maids and housewives today, so we tie on our little aprons, and whip out the old carpet beater (where would we be without it??) and then we're business women, and sailors... and after work? A night out perhaps? Or a ballet recital? It's all there, ready to wear. :)










I am actually in love with these coats, and the 'Hers and Hers' idea




and that is so Mimi's coat from Rent!!

/end
x

No comments:

Post a Comment