Monday 12 April 2010

Trends....

There are certain trends in the current and future seasons that I love, and some that I love... notsomuch.


I'm vegetarian, so by default I not only don't eat meat, meat-products/by-products(gelatine etc) or anything cooked in meat, and I also avoid most things of animal origin. This means I don't wear fur, ever, or croc skin, or snake skin, or ponyhair, and it's very rare for me to wear any leather or suede without the crux 'faux-' before it. (The exceptions being my beloved Doc. Martens that I've had since being about 12, and the occasional leather bag...) I'm by no means a saint, but I do try to be true to my morals.


That's why it's been difficult for me to find any good to embrace in the whole fur debacle for F/W2010. Karl Lagerfield, being the God that he is, designed his entire Chanel FRTW10 collection using fake fur, which I personally think is a stroke of genius, especially since that particular collection seems to have some fur-based piece in every look. And I actually really liked a lot of it, it had that fun yeti vibe, and kind of reminds me of the adorable bear-suits babies roll around in, but in like a really high fashion way. The fact that he used like a ton of ice on his runway makes me think that maybe he was having a play with this collection, and wasn't taking it entirely serious - more like he wanted his customers to wear some of the pieces with a bright smile, their expressions as warm as their snug toes in their newly-acquired snow boots. I am entirely jealous of anyone who can afford any of these pieces for next Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment